Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Happy book birthday, Demon Derby!



I don’t even know what to say about this, so I’m going to let my spokesman, Richard Simmons, say it for me.

PEEEOPLE! Demon Derby is out today! I’ve been so excited to read this book that I’m rolling around in vegetables! Okay, so I’d take any excuse to do that, but still, it's EXCITING! Also full of vitamins! And good for your hair!

I'm not sure about that last claim, but I'm still pretty darned excited. In case you haven't heard about it, Demon Derby is about a girl named Casey Kent. Casey is a cancer survivor turned demon fighting derby girl. The book is inspired by my husband, aka Slayer of Bees, who is a bone marrow transplant doctor, a cancer survivor, and a ninja. He is also awesome. I am also biased.

Totally biased.

One of the best things about this book is that it gave me a chance to get to know a lot of terrific junior derby girls. If you haven't taken in a junior derby bout, you are missing out! These girls are tough cookies, and it's been so nice to get to know them. I'm particularly biased toward the following teams, who signed up to help spread the word about the book and hold bone marrow drives to help make more cancer survivors like Casey and Slayer, even if they don't become demon fighting derby girls. You should totally check them out:

  • Central KY Junior Roller Derby (Louisville, KY)
  • Cherry Bomb Charmers Junior Roller Derby (Jacksonville, FL)
  • Delta's Angels (Memphis, TN)
  • Frogtown Fallgirls (Toledo, OH)
  • Greater Edmonton Junior Roller Derby All Stars (Edmonton, AB)
  • Hoosier Bruisers Junior Derby (Anderson, IN)
  • Hudson Valley Frightmares (Kingston, NY)
  • Indianapolis Junior Roller Derby (Indianapolis, IN)
  • Jersey Junior Roller Derby (Jackson, NJ)
  • Juvenile Dollinquents (San Diego, CA)
  • Lansing Junior Vixens (Lansing, MI) 
  • Lilac City Pixies (Spokane, WA)
  • Miami's Lil Miss Demeanors (Cutler Bay, FL)
  • Rolling Rebellion (Sanger, TX)
  • Second City Slaughter (Chicago, IL)
  • Southern Colorado Junior Roller Derby (Colorado Springs, CO)
  • The Atomic Cupcakes (Linden, MI)
  • Twin Cities Junior Roller Derby (Blaine, MN)
  • V Town Derby Delinquents (Hanford, CA)
  • Wasatch Junior Rollers (Taylorsville, UT)

But these are just the teams that have signed up to help promote the book, so if you don't see anything near you, that doesn't mean your area doesn't have a team. Here's a handy listing of teams, and there are lots of new ones popping up too. Google is your friend.



And vegetables! Don't forget the vegetables!

And also vegetables. Thanks for the reminder, Richard.

Bookstores are also your friend, but if you can't find a copy of Demon Derby at your local one, you can also get one at these fine retailers:

 
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go flail with excitement. That's my plan for today. Lots and lots of flailing. Also accompanied by some high pitched noises. I'm so excited for this book, and I hope that if you read it and like it, you'll take the time to tell someone about it. It really does make a difference.

But don't worry. If you don't, I will still think you are awesome.

4 comments:

Katie Anderson said...

YAY YAY YAY!!! Congrats, my friend!!! So happy for you :)

Carrie Harris said...

Thank you!!!! You are the awesomest--adding you to the long list of people I need to catch up with!

play bazaar said...


Sign up for unemployment benefits as soon as you find out you've lost your job.play bazaar You can't wait until you are out of money and out of a job.satta king

Divya said...

Make sure you sign up for the employer's health insurance through your employer.playbazaar The premiums are normally deducted before taxes and is much cheaper than purchasing an individual plan.satta king Married couples should compare plans to determine the most value.