Monday, June 18, 2012

Summer Reading

One of the things I'd really like to get caught up on this summer (besides this poor neglected blog) is reading! So I think I'm going to take a stab at 50 books before school's back in session. And I need YOU to help keep me in check! And if you have any summer reading goals, let me know and we'll nag each other until we get it done.

I can nag very uniquely, you know. Like, I could threaten to send the Ninja Attack Squad to your house to steal all your socks. And I could REALLY DO IT. (Except for the part where my friends might resent my ordering them around like ninja flunkies. And Ninja Flunkies should be a band name. I've been coming up with those a lot lately for some reason.)

So here are my first two reads for the summer! And I will review them in limericks, because I feel like it.

#1. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
This book, it won lots of award-as.
But it doesn't contain any sword-as.
It's a myst-ry sci-fi.
Bout a girl and a guy
And it has lots of references of Madeline L'Engle, which I find quite plainly awesome. And yes, I know this was supposed to be a limerick, but MADELINE L'ENGLE TRANSCENDS LIMERICKS.

#2. Clarity by Kim Harrington
This book has been on my to-read list,
Forever, and now I am so pissed.
Should have read it before,
This book I adore,
It's a mystery with a psychic twist!

Right now, I'm reading this INSANE book called Ninja Versus Pirate Featuring Zombies. I'm...just...

*speechless*

I'll come up with some words to describe it. Next week, maybe. What are you reading?

8 comments:

Anita Saxena said...

I've got to finish reading a MS for a critique partner and then I think I'm going to start Cinder.

Liesel K. Hill said...

Great post! Love the limericks! Right now I'm reading the final book (that's out) of the Song of Fire and Ice Series. It's called A Dance with Dragons. So many books to read this summer, and so little time! :D

musingsonfantasia.blogspot.com
lkhill.blogspot.com

Carrie Harris said...

Cinder's on my to-read list too, Anita! Let me know what you think of it!

Liesel, I'm slowly working my way through that series, but it's taking me a while. Hope you enjoy the last book!

storyqueen said...

Yay for the limerick reviews! I have so missed your haiku reviews.

Shelley

Jessica said...

Cinder is great. A definite must-read. :) right now I'm reading The Apothecary by Maille and Dead End in Norvelt by Gantos. Both great middle grade reads. :)

Ryan said...

Extra points for the limericks (even if they were a little post-modern.)
When You Reach Me kept my interest, but just barely. I felt like it had a cool premise but could've been so much more. Hopefully you'll totally disagree with me. :)
I'll have to check out Clarity. (Once you let me know if it's any good of course.)
Currently I'm reading the second book in the Beyonders Series by Brandon Mull. His prose is barely palatable, but he makes up for it with AMAZING plot and INCREDIBLE imagination. I think I like this series better than his Fablehaven books. Good luck with 50 books! With kids, a killer blog, and two novels in the works, you're going to be quite the busy woman.

Carrie Harris said...

Shelley! So good to see you, even if it's virtually! I might have to inflict an email on you. I miss our chats! :)

Jessica, I've heard lots of good things about Dead End in Norvelt in particular. Maybe I'll have to pick it up...

Ryan, I thought When You Reach Me was a nice quiet book. My tastes tend to be more loud and in your face, but I can see a lot of people really loving it. And I really loved Clarity. It was just a FUN read, and sometimes that's exactly what the doctor ordered. As for Brandon Mull, maybe I'll try Beyonders. I couldn't get much into Fablehaven, but I'm always down for some good fantasy! Thanks for the rec!!!

Anonymous said...

"Steal all their socks" means "light their car on fire," right?

I think with the recent passing of Ray Bradbury I'm going to have to check out some of his other stuff. Ya know, instead of just rereading Farenheit 451 yet again.

re: your ninja flunkies comment -
I wanted to post the video of Chris Farley and the rest of the Plucky Ninjas, but NBC keeps their s**t on lock down. For realz.