Friday, October 26, 2012
Monster Bash: Easy Halloween Ideas
Are you a procrastinator who hasn't yet picked out a Halloween costume? Are you sick of buying costumes because your makeup skills are limited to bright blue 80s style eyeshadow? (If so, I think that's awesome.) There are actually some really easy tips that you can use to create an awesome Halloween look, and they're really easy to do. In fact, most of them will require things you've got right in your cupboards. Here are a few easy tips for you procrastinators out there.
- FAKE BLOOD. If you forgot to buy a little tube of blood for your vampire costume, you don't need to run out to the store at the last minute. A little red food coloring in some corn syrup works well, with a bit of corn starch mixed in to thicken it. (Sometimes I also put in a small drop of blue to make it darker--just be careful with that so you don't end up with purple alien blood.) If you're worried about staining, put a little Vaseline on the skin to seal it and then dab the blood on with a Q-tip.
- DO-IT-YOURSELF-SCARS AND WRINKLES. Spirit gum is your friend. Spirit gum is the sticky stuff you see at Halloween and theater stores; people use it to adhere masks and wigs and all kinds of things. But you can also use it to create wrinkly, puckered skin. To create a scar, draw a long line of spirit gum on skin and let it dry. It shrinks as it dries, pulling the skin a little out of shape. Now you can apply makeup on top to make a scar or stitch marks. I've also used this to make zombie makeups a little more convincing. A bit of spirit gum around the edge of the mouth makes it look a little more sunken. And some of it painted on the face can contribute to a dehydrated, undead look. I imagine in a pinch, you could also try this with regular school glue, but I can't say from experience how well it lasts. And of course, please don't put this stuff on your lips or near your eyes!
- MUMMIFY OR ZOMBIFY YOURSELF. You can make an awesome last minute makeup with stuff you've already got in your house. Make a paste out of 2 parts flour to one part corn syrup. Apply the paste to your face and then cover with jaggedly ripped pieces of plain paper towels. If you want to be a mummy, wrap the rest of your head with either a rolled bandage or cheesecloth. If you want to be a zombie, apply makeup over the top of your new rotting flesh.
- INSTANT STUBBLE. This one's really easy. Put some Vaseline on your face and press a little bit of coffee grounds into it.
- Carrie Harris
- I like writing books, playing games, fighting evil, and cooking (everyone's got to have hobbies). My YA zombie comedy, BAD TASTE IN BOYS, is available from Delacorte Press right now! The next Kate Grable adventure, BAD HAIR DAY, will be available November 2012. Which is la awesome.
My books on Goodreads!
Carrie Harris's books on Goodreads
Twilight Parody - The (Sparkly) Back Issues
- Edition 10 - Beware the Scout with the Afro
- Edition 9 - The Merpire Bowling League
- Edition 8 - Fishman to the Rescue
- Edition 7 - Thumbs Up for Merpires
- Edition 6 - Ward's Killer Pants
- Edition 5 - The Gratuitous Dream Sequence
- Edition 4 - Meatballs Are Not For Kissing
- Edition 3 - My Dorsal Fin Belongs to Ward
- Edition 2 - Pinch Me!
- Edition 1 - The Ochre One
- Monster Bash: Happy HALLOWEEN!
- Monster Bash: Things That Make Me Snarf
- Monster Bash: Easy Halloween Ideas
- Monster Bash: I HAVE BAD HAIR
- Monster Bash: Old Horror Movies You MUST See
- Monster Bash Foods: Cupcakes
- Monster Bash Event Smash (aka COME TO MY PARTY)
- Monster Bash Interview Smash: Knot by Granma
- Monster Bash: Shoe Nerdcrafts!
- Monster Bash Party Smash - Halloween Playlist
- Monster Bash Interview Smash: Play Attention Games...
- Monster Bash: Paper Nerdcrafts
- Monster Bash Interview Smash: Dahlia Deranged
- Monster Bash!
- ▼ October (14)
- ► 2011 (159)
- ► 2010 (228)
- ► 2009 (248)