Friday, January 29, 2010

The 2010 Debut Author Challenge: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

I finally made it through all the Cybils books and onto something new and exciting! Let's hear it for new hotness!

Um... I really hope you didn't cheer there. Because that would be weird.

Anyway, for those of you not in the know, a bunch o'people have vowed to read at least one book a month by a 2010 debut author. Why? Because we are kewl, and because debut writers are kewl, and it just seems natural that we should be kewl together. While it's a little too late for you to join the challenge, I am of the humble opinion that you are kewl too.

Y'know, just so you don't feel left out.

Anyway, my book of the month is The Dark Divine, by Bree Despain. Now, there are a lot of review type things out there. But there's still one thing I wanted to talk about.

The cover.

Oh la la! I am so pretty and purple!


Now, I think this cover is pretty (and purple). But I almost didn't read this book because of the combo of cover and title, because it looks and sounds to me like the kind of book that has lots of heaving bosoms and... uh... ooh la la.

That's my euphemism, and I'm sticking to it.

In my opinion, they didn't match at all to what was inside, which was a paranormal romance best suited to the younger teen/tween crowd, at least in my little reality. But I don't get that at all from the cover. I get heaving and ooh la la.

What does this cover make you expect? And if you've read The Dark Divine, do you think the cover fits the book?

PS - I leave for SCBWI today! Find me and say hello if you're going to be there so we can be kewl together!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

most definitely ooh la la!

Jonathon Arntson said...

I think the 'one book a month by a debut author' challenge is great!

I def agree about the cover/title combo, it's very harlequin, the kind even the PL doesn't carry. I think it'll sell among the ladies though.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I can totally do this challenge. I have read two debut books this month. Okay, I have read one and am reading the second one. I wouldn't let a child, or my parents, read the one I finished but the second is good for everyone.

storyqueen said...

I think the cover looks suited to a crowd older than tween....a bit of a mis-match maybe?

PJ Hoover said...

The cover is pretty, isn't it, but it hasn't sold me. I've heard great things about the book though.
have a great time!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

This is my 2010 Debut book of the month too! I love the cover, but I'm not sure what to expect from the story. Hopefully some awesomeness and ooh la la! :-)

Carolyn V. said...

Whoo hoo! Have a great time!

I can't wait to read that book. I have to wait till my finals are over.

Elana Johnson said...

Oh my heck! I like the cover, but it SO DOES NOT match the book. Like at all. I don't even think the word "purple" is in the MS. Srsly.

Mariah Irvin said...

Haha, I love your euphemism. I haven't read this book yet, but the cover does look a little... saucy.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

i expected dark and sexy

Valerie Kemp said...

I said the same thing about the cover! Although I was actually looking forward to the "dark and sexy" that did not appear in the book. Other than the fact that she wears a purple drapey thing (yes, that's what I call it) and has purple toe nails at the end, the cover has nothing to do with the story whatsoever. Especially the fact that Grace would never show that much leg!

K.C. Shaw said...

I like the cover, but I'd have assumed it was about a girl with anorexia. Those are the twiggiest legs I've ever seen.

I hope you're having a great trip!

MeganRebekah said...

I loved getting to meet you (ever so briefly) at SCBWI! I was totally jealous of your zombie shirt, and was thankful you covered it with a jacket so I could resist the urge to steal it :)

Natalie said...

Hey Carrie! It was so fun to meet you yesterday. I haven't read The Dark Divine yet, but it's on my list.

Larissa said...

Ooh! I can't wait to hear about your trip!

Um, I haven't read it yet, but that cover almost looked like a dead body to me (uber-pale legs). I dunno. Maybe the "dark" in the title leads my mind to dark places...

By the way, I gave you a blog award! http://lchardesty.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-first-blog-award.html

Abby Annis said...

I'm totally up for that challenge. I love reading books from debut authors. And anything that provides with an excuse to buy more hardcover books is awesome. :)

And I agree. Beautiful cover, but it does give the impression of being more mature. I just bought this yesterday, so no opinion yet on how it fits with the story, though I've heard a lot of people say the cover is misleading.