Monday, September 15, 2008
First, let there be business.
Just a quick note to let you know that The Wonder That Is My Blog will be largely automated this week, due to parental visitage. My mother will be here. I've still got posts coming up on a daily basis, but I may not be so quick to visit and comment on your blogs. I'm sorry. Please don't hate me. My fragile psyche can't take it.
You didn't quite realize how important you are, did you?
And that, my friends, concludes the business of the morning/day/evening/whenever you're reading this. On to the amusement.
For some reason, typos crack me up. Spelling mistakes may make me want to flagellate people with noodles, but typos amuse me to no end. I proofread menus and make snarky comments about people who don't know how to spell "quesadilla." I have this strange idea that maybe the people who put letters on signs ought to have the basics of spelling and grammar down pat. But give me a good typo and I'll giggle for hours.
I remember two typos with particular fondness. The first was from a romancey-type thing in which a whole lot of stroking was going on. No, not THAT kind of stroking. More like the hero stroking her hair and stroking her arms while she cried, and that sort of thing. Only he kept typing it storking. So he was storking her hair and storking her arms. And the mental picture there STILL makes me laugh. I picture some guy beating on a poor woman with a big white bird.
And every time I read something about gentle stroking, I laugh.
The other typo that made me snarf was from an old boss of mine, who is quite honestly certifiably insane. We wrote a lot of reports together back in ye olde days, you know, before electricity when all managerial reports were etched in stone. And she had this problem with the word "assess." She kept leaving an S off the end. And really, you can only read about how someone needs to asses the situation so many times before it becomes snarfalicious.
How about you? Know any good typos?
- Carrie Harris
- I like writing books, playing games, fighting evil, and cooking (everyone's got to have hobbies). My YA zombie comedy, BAD TASTE IN BOYS, is available from Delacorte Press right now! The next Kate Grable adventure, BAD HAIR DAY, will be available November 2012. Which is la awesome.
My books on Goodreads!
Carrie Harris's books on Goodreads
- ► 2012 (54)
- ► 2011 (159)
- ► 2010 (228)
- ► 2009 (248)
- Holy Scary Eyebrows, Batman!
- I Swear!
- Deep Thoughts
- Dinner Party - September
- Things That Make Me Snarf - Covers
- In the Event of Famousness
- The Iron Chef I'm Not
- Tag Tag Bo Bag. Banana Fana Fo... Er... Never Mind...
- Things That Make Me Snarf: Strongbad
- I'm Special, and Not in a Stuart Smalley Kind of W...
- Typo Amusement
- Superpower Roulette
- Critiquey Goodness
- Twenty Different Kinds of Wrong
- Things That Make Me Snarf - Impressions
- First Lines
- Nostalgic Despite Myself
- Scruff or No Scruff, That Is the Question
- The Tom Robbins Story
- The Mouse House
- Holy Bleep!
- The Sexy Creature Awards
- Things That Make Me Snarf
- ▼ September (24)