Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fun with My Phone

I cannot decide if it's just me or if everyone's auto-complete cell phone feature was programmed by intoxicated Muppets. Do you have an auto-complete feature? I'm not sure if I'm using the right words for this; I'm talking about the thing that fills in words when you're texting, and you can select the right word from the list rather than spelling it out yourself.

And mine was programmed by intoxicated Muppets.

See, when I'm texting, which admittedly isn't tremendously often, I almost NEVER use the suggested words, because they make no freaking sense. I decided to test this theory by entering the beginning of a sentence and then finishing it with the auto-complete options.

So I started with "I'm sorry I..." I ended up with: I'm sorry I woke up on craigslist is easier for his family of funny.

Then I started with "I wish..." And ended up with: I wish but since no swearing can be earlier n shorts if u guys want me to use that one.

That's right. One of the options was "n shorts." And it was suggested after the word "earlier." If you can come up with a legitimate instance in which this phrase would be used, I will do something drastic like name a character after you or something.

And this last one is entirely incomprehensible. I started with "Muppets are..." and ended up with: Muppets are free to u...just let me thinks you posted the video you re.

I have been sitting here for a few minutes, trying to think of something funny to say about this, but all I can do is shake my head. Does this only happen to me, or was your phone programmed by intoxicated Muppets too?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I dream of one day having a phone like yours. Mine is so boring by comparison. :)

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Hahaha! I can't tell you how many times I've had do send out a second text saying, "I'm sorry for the previous round of idiocy. Stupid autocorrect." I'll constantly type in a word thinking it's showing up, and then my "smart" phone fills in the details or changes the words around. Very annoying.

Gail said...

What a hoot! I laughed so hard, I had tears. I don't know which is funnier, the actual text messages or the visual image of drunk Muppets LOL.
Great post Carrie. I'm going to check and see if I have autocorrect...I've only sent 3 texts in my life (yes, I know I'm a dork)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

ha ha ha! I love you, girl! :-)

midnightblooms said...

Ah, auto-complete, how useless are thee . . . I used auto-complete for about five minutes before finding the option to turn it off.

I'm jealous. I never got such interesting dialogue on my phone. Clearly your phone is much more hip than mine. :)

Jamie Eyberg said...

I don't have texting on my phone so I have no clue.

Vikki said...

Hahahahahaha!

I don't have auto-watchamacallit on my phone, but my husband does, and sometimes I have to use it to send emails while we're out and about. First, I had no idea how FAT my fingers were. He has a touch screen, so I'm constantly hitting the wrong letters, and then it suggests the most whacked out words. It makes me feel like such a fat-fingered idiot!

Whirlochre said...

Blogger now has a wasp-orientated SPONGE




8.75
snagglesnarfler function for all
bereft of hummocks nightmares.

Which is not what I typed.

Ultraheck!

lora96 said...

Legit Use:
Q: Where ru?
A: N shorts

as in, i am wearing my pants but am topless.

also:

Q: How ru gtg to bbl prac?
A: On foot. N shorts.

as in, i do not have to change, i am running late b/c i have to walk therefore I am already in my uniform which consists exclusively of team shorts. it is an obscene exhibition game or else the other team is Shirts and we are Shorts :P



okay, i just had to try.

Claire Dawn said...

Maybe they put the auto-complete feature through several translations on Babelfish...