Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Haiku Reviews

So I've been slacking on the Read 50 Books in 2009 Challenge. I've been reading up a storm, but I haven't told you about it. I'm a bad, bad person. Somebody flog me with a wet noodle.

Just not through the computer, because you'll end up with noodle marks on your monitor. Trust me. I know these things.

Without further ado, here are some reviews of books that you might enjoy. In haiku. The reviews, not the books. Duh.

The Eyre Affair
Four thousand Miltons
And a bad guy named Jack Schitt
I laughed my butt off

*Note that this one gets a star from me. Fforde has earned a place among comedy greats like Prachett and Adams with this one.

Evil Genius
Super hacker kid
Goes to supervillain school
And blows it all up

Tietam Brown
This has good writing
But after reading it I
Needed a shower

*Note that this one has some seriously graphic adult content. When I say that I needed a shower, I wasn't kidding. It creeped me out.

Horrors of the Dancing Gods
Why do I keep on
Reading parts of a series
But not the first one?

Catalyst
Chemistry genius
Completely falls apart here
It's like a car crash

Across the Wall
A book of short tales
My favorite was a surprise
Arthurian myth

Lost in a Good Book
Jasper Fforde is
A staggering genius of
Literary snarf

You Are So Undead to Me
If you're looking for
Some zombie hunter action
This was a fun read

And that takes me to 17 reads out of 50. Woot! Any new recommendations for me? Lady Glamis is officially named Bestish Friendish of The Wonder That Is My Blog for her recommendation of The Eyre Affair. I need to make a badge or something that people can put on their blogs.

10 comments:

Tiny T said...

Well I'm off to the library then! :D I'll have to go check out some of Jasper Fforde's books since they come so highly recommended.

K.C. Shaw said...

I've put The Eyre Affair on my reading list. I'm always up for funny stuff!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Hey, cool! I'm the Bestish Friendish of The Wonder That Is My Blog. I hope I can live up to that title as time goes on. :)

I feel . . . *wipes away a tear* . . . so honored!

It really is a great book. But the person who gave the book to me is one of my great friends. Her blog is
here. She cracks me up every time I talk to her.

David Ebright said...

FYI - The geneology of Jack Schitt is thoroughly explained on my blog post from June 2nd - if ya feel like scrolling through all that drivel.

PJ Hoover said...

These are hilarious! And consider yourself flogged with that noodle!

Fox Lee said...

Far too many books
I want to read them, and yet
The TV beckons

Kelly Polark said...

I am impressed by your list! I love the Haiku Review idea!!! That is such a cool way to quickly review the book!!

Mariah Irvin said...

Sounds like I have another book to add to my list. I've been reading a book called Life of Pi, which you should read if you haven't already. It doesn't have ninjas or zombies but it has a zoo. And a really big Bengal tiger.

I decided I'm going to come up with great book of recommendations because I want a spiffy badge!!!

Ray Veen said...

Be honest. Which took longer, reading the books, or summarizing them in haiku?

Carrie Harris said...

Tiny T: I hope you like 'em. No pressure or anything. ;)

KC: It's well worth it. Do not drink whilst reading this book, because it WILL come out your nose.

Glamis: See? We need a little statuette or something to commemorate these things. Or a crocheted ninja. That would work.

JaxPop: Well, I know he's got a brother-in-law named Schitt-Hause, which made me laugh even funnier. I'm hoping that more of the Schitts appear in the latter books; I've only read the first two.

PJ: Glad you like 'em! :)

Natalie: This is why I read during commercials. Unless the commercial is funny, of course.

Kelly: Glad you like the haikus! Since this is more of a comedy blog than a book blog (or it attempts to be), I hate to post big long book reviews but I can't resist posting SOMETHING. Know what I mean?

Mariah: Bring it on! I think you recommended Uglies last time, which is ab fab, but I'd already read them all. I own them, in fact.

BPV: Er... the haiku took about ten minutes. Reading the books took a little longer than that. Maybe 15 or so. ;)