Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Me Tree

I can't stop thinking about ninjas.

It's not that surprising, really. I live with one (although he doesn't normally wear the cowl around the house). Ninja Appreciation Week has just ended. My next book has ninjas in it. One of my critique groups has a wannabe ninja in it. (And a wannabe robot, but that's another story.)

So yeah. I can't get them out of my head.

And you know what I think would be really cool? A ninja werewolf. Just picture it: A dimly lit forest. Tendrils of mist winding through the trees. A stand of pines. And right in the middle of it, a big furball in a ninja suit and cowl, tufts of hair sticking out at the seams. I picture him standing with his arms up in the air, going, "Me tree."

Because werewolves aren't exactly silver tongued, eh?

Get it? SILVER tongued? Sometimes I crack myself up.

Of course, then you've got to figure out what to call the ninja werewolf, because why use a boring two word name when you can come up with a silly one word name? It could be a werewonja. Or a werejawolf.

This conversation of course leads me to contemplate other types of ninja. Like the ninpire, whose teeth are pointier than his shuriken. And the djinnja. He grants wishes, but only if they involve things that are black, things that are pointy, and lawn flamingos. And the tooth finja, who comes in the middle of the night to take your teeth. When you're forty. And he uses pliers.

I may have to go as the tooth finja for Halloween next year, because that's freaking amusing. Slayer can be the werewonja. The kids can be mininjas. We'll be one big happy ninja family. Even if Daddy thinks he's a tree.

17 comments:

Hanna Banana said...

Seeing as it is all things wrestling in my house right now, (my ten year old is obsessed and totally stoked that he pinned two kids last night), all I can come up with is "ninjestler".

Jamie Eyberg said...

The only things that people want to be in our house are a princess (the six year old) and a cook (my 22 month old is really into food right now, and not to eat it)

SlayerOfBees said...

Do I have to be a werewonja? I'm not hairy enough! How about I go as a gynincologist, or a donja (part donkey, part ninja, all awesome) or a ganja - you could go a few ways with that one!

Or if I wanted to be "hip" a could go as a ninmo (Emo ninja).

Hmm....I've got a lot of pondering to do before the end of October...

David Ebright said...

Carrie - You are a total riot. If you don't mind - I'll be visiting often. Good stuff.

Hanna Banana said...

Ganja-- ROFLMAO

Cate Gardner said...

Now that wereninja thingy - he sounds like an original idea/character for a novel.

Bryan B. said...

I'm no wannabe.

Fox Lee said...

"Help, I'm a rock" would work too!

Carrie Harris said...

Hanna: You could go old school wrestling and have the Hulkinja. :)

Jamie: Yeah, but at least that kind of thing doesn't put holes in your walls.

Slayer: We could use fake hair, you know. I'm pretty good at that whole Halloween makeup thing. Although I would pay money to see you as a ninmo.

JaxPop: Hmmm... let me think. No, I definitely don't mind. :)

Cate: It's prime material for a graphic novel if you ask me.

Bryan: Sorry, darlin, but I'm not sure you have enough weapons in your house to qualify.

Natalie: Snarf. How exactly does one help a rock, anyway?

Ray Veen said...

Robot wannabe says:

Noteworthy blog post. Request further humor be withheld until unit Q-pi re-establishes permanant internet presence.

Christy Raedeke said...

I scared my cat laughing so hard at the Finja description. Brilliant. I'm stealing that Halloween idea for sure.

Kelly Polark said...

How about a stinja? A frugal ninja...

Sherrie Petersen said...

What about a ninjarina, because the cowl would be a fabulous contrast to the pink tutu :)

Mary said...

Why not make this Ninja Hybrid Week?!

And... that tooth finja is SCARY!

Verification word: parti. How apt. :)

C.R. Evers said...

you ned to name your next pet Ninja. :0)

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

How about a frinja? A ninja with bangs.

Or a fanja? A fat ninja.

Or a blingja? A ninja wearing lots of bling

or a midja? A midget ninja.

ok I'd better stop now.

Christina Farley said...

Now you did it. Your kids will have a finja for a tooth fairy. What do you think the finja will bring them?