Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Those Weeks When You Don't Write Much

This is one of those weird weeks where I'm not writing a whole lot (waiting for feedback from crit partner on book 3 and from editor on BAD HAIR DAY). I get this funny feeling on weeks like this, like everyone around me has been replaced by clever clones overnight and I just haven't picked up on it yet.

I'm not entirely sure why that is. For some strange reason, writing about a fantasy world makes me fit better into the real world, and how the heck does that work? Maybe it's just that I work well with schedules, because otherwise my short attention span takes over and I'm all, "I think I'll work on--OOOH! POPCORN! I LIKE--I think the word "squamous" is really underused. I think I'll make an effort to use it--Wait! Wait a minute! I've come up with the best book idea! Zombiethulhu Takes Over the World!"

Honestly, I'm not an idiot. It's just that my brain exists in a constant state of elevated caffeination, and it runs at a higher rate of speed than is probably safe.

But the schedule helps. Because I know in the morning, I take care of correspondence. I blog, if I haven't pre-written one. I clean up the house, do a load of laundry, and piffle around in a vain attempt to make it look like three kids don't live here. I play with the twins, take them to school or dance or whatever we're doing that day. And then in the afternoon, I write. I like having that structure; by the time I sit down at the computer, I'm ready to tackle some pages. I rarely sit there without a clue what to write because I've been ramping up to it all day. And without that, I NEEDLESSLY RAMP.

No more needless ramping. Needless ramping makes me feel funny.

And that's a sentence I never thought I'd write.

8 comments:

Vikki said...

I agree...needless ramping makes me itch. And, I'm the same exact way. I love to have a set time to write. And usually I spend the day up until that time writing in my head. I sometimes think I get best writing done when I'm not at my computer.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this. It kinda makes me sound like a nut.

(ha...and my word verification is "nutuntic. Weird!)

Marsha Sigman said...

I would like to say my best writing is done in my head too.lol

I do not have a set time to write, I wish I did. At this point I grab whatever time I can get and scribble myself notes throughout the day so I don't forget all my brilliant ideas.

Valerie Kemp said...

I SO need to do the schedule thing. I know it would help but whenever I try to do one, I get distracted and forget that I had a schedule! LOL

Aurora Smith said...

Im always writitng something. If I dont I feel a little irritated. I think its the ADHD.

Matthew MacNish said...

Okay, so this just officially won the post of the day for saying Zombiethulhu. FTW!

Lacey J Edwards said...

I'm so bad at sticking to a schedule. I have very little self-discipline. I spoil myself.

Zombiethulla. 'Nuff said.

Kathy McCullough said...

I am selfishly grateful to know there are days when Carrie, the Ninja Warrior Novelist Goddess, is not super-productive, even though you are still WAY ahead of the pack because of your warp-speed brain, which I already knew about. :) Also, I'm selfishly pleased to share your need for a schedule. I LOVE a schedule. I NEEEEED a schedule. Oops, timer just went off, time to make lunch...

ali cross said...

Hey Carrie, how'd I miss you have twins? Mine are 10 1/2 years old. GUYS. And they're becoming more and more GUY every day. It's just plain weird. Yesterday I discovered they are sprouting, ahem, body hair, and can I just say? I kind of freaked out! I never thought the moment would come when there was a topic I didn't want to talk about with them!

AND I'm an afternoon writer too. But because I like the sunlight streaming through my office window. If I were writing about monsters and zombies I'd probably write in the afternoon for an entirely different reason. And entirely sanity-preserving one.

So, um. Oh yeah. Ramping. Not writing. The ramps almost ended now, though, right? Time to take your Evil Kineval leap into writing new words? YES!