Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Those Weeks When You Don't Write Much

This is one of those weird weeks where I'm not writing a whole lot (waiting for feedback from crit partner on book 3 and from editor on BAD HAIR DAY). I get this funny feeling on weeks like this, like everyone around me has been replaced by clever clones overnight and I just haven't picked up on it yet.

I'm not entirely sure why that is. For some strange reason, writing about a fantasy world makes me fit better into the real world, and how the heck does that work? Maybe it's just that I work well with schedules, because otherwise my short attention span takes over and I'm all, "I think I'll work on--OOOH! POPCORN! I LIKE--I think the word "squamous" is really underused. I think I'll make an effort to use it--Wait! Wait a minute! I've come up with the best book idea! Zombiethulhu Takes Over the World!"

Honestly, I'm not an idiot. It's just that my brain exists in a constant state of elevated caffeination, and it runs at a higher rate of speed than is probably safe.

But the schedule helps. Because I know in the morning, I take care of correspondence. I blog, if I haven't pre-written one. I clean up the house, do a load of laundry, and piffle around in a vain attempt to make it look like three kids don't live here. I play with the twins, take them to school or dance or whatever we're doing that day. And then in the afternoon, I write. I like having that structure; by the time I sit down at the computer, I'm ready to tackle some pages. I rarely sit there without a clue what to write because I've been ramping up to it all day. And without that, I NEEDLESSLY RAMP.

No more needless ramping. Needless ramping makes me feel funny.

And that's a sentence I never thought I'd write.

8 comments:

Vivi said...

I agree...needless ramping makes me itch. And, I'm the same exact way. I love to have a set time to write. And usually I spend the day up until that time writing in my head. I sometimes think I get best writing done when I'm not at my computer.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this. It kinda makes me sound like a nut.

(ha...and my word verification is "nutuntic. Weird!)

Marsha Sigman said...

I would like to say my best writing is done in my head too.lol

I do not have a set time to write, I wish I did. At this point I grab whatever time I can get and scribble myself notes throughout the day so I don't forget all my brilliant ideas.

Valerie Kemp said...

I SO need to do the schedule thing. I know it would help but whenever I try to do one, I get distracted and forget that I had a schedule! LOL

Read my books; lose ten pounds! said...

Im always writitng something. If I dont I feel a little irritated. I think its the ADHD.

Matthew MacNish said...

Okay, so this just officially won the post of the day for saying Zombiethulhu. FTW!

L.J. Boldyrev said...

I'm so bad at sticking to a schedule. I have very little self-discipline. I spoil myself.

Zombiethulla. 'Nuff said.

Kathy McCullough said...

I am selfishly grateful to know there are days when Carrie, the Ninja Warrior Novelist Goddess, is not super-productive, even though you are still WAY ahead of the pack because of your warp-speed brain, which I already knew about. :) Also, I'm selfishly pleased to share your need for a schedule. I LOVE a schedule. I NEEEEED a schedule. Oops, timer just went off, time to make lunch...

ali said...

Hey Carrie, how'd I miss you have twins? Mine are 10 1/2 years old. GUYS. And they're becoming more and more GUY every day. It's just plain weird. Yesterday I discovered they are sprouting, ahem, body hair, and can I just say? I kind of freaked out! I never thought the moment would come when there was a topic I didn't want to talk about with them!

AND I'm an afternoon writer too. But because I like the sunlight streaming through my office window. If I were writing about monsters and zombies I'd probably write in the afternoon for an entirely different reason. And entirely sanity-preserving one.

So, um. Oh yeah. Ramping. Not writing. The ramps almost ended now, though, right? Time to take your Evil Kineval leap into writing new words? YES!