Friday, December 19, 2008

Whistling in the Dark

Yeah, I admit it. I stole the title of this blog post from a song. If you can name the artist, you'll be my new best friend, except that no one could ever replace Bestfriend, aka Baby Spice, aka My Partner in Crime. So you'd have to settle for being Bestish Friendish. But still, it's a title to be cherished for all eternity, or at least until Tuesday.

We are pretty much snowed in here, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because I've got a shload of crafty crap to do before the holidays, and Scillius Maximus loaned me a whole big bag of books. Sadly enough, I'm well over halfway through, but this is only because I have mastered the skill of readand. I can readandcook, readandcolor, and readandcrochet (but only if I turn the pages with my feet... no worries, Scillius, I wore clean socks).

Unfortunately, we've acquired a light gremlin at our house, which makes this whole reading thing kind of difficult. Currently, six lights in our home are malfunctioning: one basement light, one bulb of the dining room chandelier, the kitchen light, one bulb of the Batson's floor lamp, and two bulbs over the bathroom vanity. At the rate we're going, we will soon be living in the dark ages, so I've asked Santa for some stone tools. It's good to be prepared for these eventualities.

Darned gremlin. I told Slayer we shouldn't feed the darned thing after midnight, but does he listen to me? Nooooooo.

I think I should sic the ice skating zombies on the light gremlin. Or maybe Tom Cruise. Because without enough light to see by, there's no way I'm going to finish the crochet lightsaber. I found the coolest pattern, and I figure that all of our local ninjas will be happy about that, because the Batson likes to whack them with light sabers, and he hits really hard for a five-year-old. I've got your back, ninjas. In fact, I think that after the whole Christmas thing, I shall implement Support Our Ninjas day. Because really, ninjas don't get their due, mostly because no one can ever find them.

24 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Snow scares me. I always end up flat on my back or staring down at the pavement.

Vikki said...

Whistling in the Dark is by They Might Be Giants, yes?

Our porch light is possessed. Sometimes it's in the mood to actually stay on, and other times it just flickers. I think it's trying to tell me something...

Michelle D. Argyle said...

That song is by They Might Be Giants, isn't it? And no, I didn't look it up online. I promise.

We have the CD. :)

Fox Lee said...

I am thinking about learning to knit. The thing is that Ying is allergic to wool : P

Kelly Polark said...

Ohhh, I don't know that song!
We have a snow day today, so not getting too much done, but the kids are having a blast!
I like the crochet light sabers, much safer! :0)

Jamie Eyberg said...

we missed you Carrie. Hope the snow doesn't get too nasty for the holidays.

K. M. Walton said...

We certainly live in the age of multi-tasking don't we?

Rena Jones said...

LOL @ "shload of crafty crap". Love it.

Aaron Polson said...

They Might Be Giants! From Flood!

I lurve that album!

Elizabeth said...

The title sounds country-ish. Right friendish?
As for ninjas.... do you have TBNL CD Snack Time? It rocks and they have a cool ninja song on it. I think you would like it muchish.

Unknown said...

Ok I had to google "crochet lightsabers" and you know what I found? Yep... That's right... Your blog is number 3 :D

Carrie Harris said...

Cate: See, I always end up shoveling it, which is just as bad if not worse.

Vivi: Yep. I think your porch light is telling you that you're bestish friendish. :)

Glamis: Love that CD. It doesn't get much better than Triangle Man.

Natalie: You can get acrylic or cotton thread, so he can still have his lightsaber. Or whatever you want to make him.

Kelly: They Might Be Giants is the group. Two other good songs from that album are "Triangle Man", which is just silly, and "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", which totally rocks.

Jamie: Aw, thanks. And here I thought no one would notice if I took a day off.

KM: Yes, we do. If only I could manage reading and repairing lights at the same time, I'd be set.

Rena: Yeah, that phrase fits the bill entirely. :)

Aaron: I saw them in concert. One of the Johns signed my t-shirt and drew a little guitar on it. They took requests and played them on a vacuum cleaner. How cool is THAT?

Elizabeth: Actually, it's alternative stuff. They Might Be Giants. But you can still be bestish friendish for recommending a ninja song!

Tanya: Ooooh! I sense another campaign coming! :)

Bryan B. said...

First, I would pretty much do anything for a crocheted light sabre.

Really.

And ninjas don't get their due.

Because people are afraid of them.

Bryan B. said...

Oh I forgot to mention - They Might Be Giants.

That brings me back.

I like them. And if it wasnt' for the darned ski trip thing - I totally would've gotten that. Dang it.

SlayerOfBees said...

Ninja's get their due - then kill the people who give it to them - I cannot tell you whether or not it involves lightsabers - crocheted or otherwise. Maybe that's why people are afraid of them and giving them their due. I guess we'll never know - until it's too late!

Ray Veen said...

I'm going outside right now to find a ninja and give him his due. And since the whole world is an intense white, I don't have to worry about getting snucked up on.

Unless they pop up out of the snow.

('snucked' is too a word, Bryan)

Marcia said...

Readand! Yes! The only thing I promise to refrain from is readanddrive. Alas, I must also refrain from readandrideshotgun, lest I progress to readandpuke.

Keri Mikulski said...

Can you send some snow down here.. :) It's just freezing and windy and icy. :) Have a wonderful holiday, Carrie. :)

Adrienne said...

Streetlights go out when I walk under them - maybe we have the same effect on them...

Have a nice holiday. Hope Santa brings some bulbs!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Merry Christmas Carrie! And have a fabulous new year with lots of good news!

Peace,
E

Sherrie Petersen said...

Okay, I want to know how to crochet a lightsaber. That would be extremely useful in my houseful of fencing jedi masters!

Suzanne Casamento said...

Umm...seriously, what's wrong with your lights?

Lina said...

The headline straight away made me think of dancing in the dark! But I've never heard Whistling in the dark, after reading your comments saying it's The might be giants I feel I will need to go on YouTube to hear it beacause they are brilliant! Oh and I got plenty of snow to. It's nice! :-)

Mary Witzl said...

Are you still snowed in, Carrie? I envy you the snow, I can't help it. I think I need to go out and shovel something to get over this.