What this means is that on the occasional Thursday, I'll be talking about books that you MUST READ or else the world will IMPLODE. And you wouldn't want to be responsible for that, would you? There would be no more bacon parties, sparkly vampires, or Richard Simmons, and THAT would be a travesty.
Today's book that you must read or the world will IMPLODE (in capital letters, no less) is HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER by Lish McBride. I got this book for Christmas, read it in about two days, and sent a message to Lish asking if I could stalk her. The restraining order hasn't arrived yet, but I'm sure it will come.
Anyway, here's the blurbity-blurb from the book jacket:
Meet Sam, just your average guy rocking that fast-food career.
Enter Douglas, a powerful and violent necromancer. Douglas immediately recognizes Sam as a fellow necromancer--which is news to Sam--and he's none too happy to have a competitor in the crowded paranormal scene in Seattle.
Now Sam has an undead friend on his hands and a hot werewolf girl for company. With just one week to find a way out of Douglas's clutches, can Sam figure out how to use his mysteriously latent powers?
I mean, really. Isn't that stalk-worthy? I think so. Here are five things that REALLY made me love this book.
- I think I might have hung out with Sam when I was in college. Sometimes it seems like EVERYONE is bemoaning the lack of well-developed guy characters in YA and particularly YA paranormal. Sam just PWNED all of those people. So did his buddy Ramon.
- One of his friends is a severed head. Nuff said.
- Yes, this book has zombies and werewolves, but it's not the same old same old. I mean, it's got blood-sacrificing NECROMANCERS. And...um...other cool twists on the usual creatures that I don't want to ruin for you. I already dropped the severed head spoiler, after all. I'm sorry about that, but it's a freaking SEVERED HEAD.
- The big bad guy is not cardboard. I hate it when the bad guy just seems like he exists to move the story forward. Douglas feels out and out EVIL, and that nature motivated his actions. He creeped me out in the best way.
- It's freaking hilarious! One of the major plot points involves potato hockey. And did I mention that one of the characters is a SEVERED HEAD?!? I get the insane giggles every time I think of it.
And that's that. Cannot recommend this one more highly if you're looking for a fast-paced, laugh your butt off read.
And don't forget to check out the other Bookanistas!
- Elana Johnson and LiLa Roecker celebrate the release of Across the Universe with giveaways
- Christine Fonseca gets lost in Nightshade
- Shannon Messenger raves about Like Mandarin with an ARC Giveaway
- Jamie Harrington thinks the outlook is good for The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball
- Shelli Johannes-Wells celebrates Harcourt winners
- Michelle Hodkin, Carolina Valdez Miller and Shana Silver travel Across the Universe
- Scott Tracey gets some Clarity
Myra McEntire is In The Fort with Beth Revis
- Megan Miranda falls head over heels for Fall For Anything
- Bethany Wiggins is living for Three Quarters Dead
- Jen Hayley worships Unearthly
- Kirsten Hubbard goes crazy for Delirium