Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Duh. I forgot the title.

Look! Look! I read more things! Which is really impressive when you think about it, because I've got an edit deadline at the end of the month, and it has me all...





Only minus that tank top. That thing is SO WRONG.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite things about summer--lots of reading time. And here's what I've been up to!

23. Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn
Sharon Shinn's Twelve Houses series is one of my favorite EVAR. Seriously, if you're into epic fantasy with lots of crazy political machinations and magics and generalized awesomeness, you need to read it. And after a bit of a slow start, I enjoyed this stand-alone too. It's about a girl whose father dies shortly before she learns that she's supposed to be the king's fifth wife. But after she runs away, she learns that her destiny is very different indeed, and it's all magic-like and stuff. I'm all about the technical terms, as you can see.

24. Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs
I've been wanting to read one of her books for a while, so I pretty much jumped on this one, squealing like an idiot, when I saw it at the library. Medusa's modern day descendants? Yes please! And it turned out to be a quick, light, enjoyable read. But it does end on a giant cliffhanger, so please be aware of that before you pick it up.

25. May B by Caroline Starr Rose
I finally got my hands on this former Class of 2k11, now Class of 2k12 book! And you know, there's always this bit of nervousness when picking up something by a person you really LIKE, so it was a huge relief to find that the book was this terrific, quiet gem of a verse book about a girl abandoned at a prairie homestead in the middle of a snowstorm. And I loved the reading disability subplot. A fabulous MG that I think would appeal to readers of the Little House stories.

26. My Dead Girlfriend by Eric Wight
A graphic novel blurbed by Joss Whedon with Monster High tendencies? YES PLEASE. And I ended up with more than I expected. I expected the snortworthy takes on high school monsterdom. I expected the fast paced story. But I didn't expect the level of real emotion I got as Finney deals with lost love, bullies, social outcastery, and a ghostly family with which he quite literally doesn't fit in. If you're a fan of YA and new to the whole graphic novel thing, this would be a great place to start.

27. Blood Lite III: Aftertaste edited by Kevin J. Anderson
I admit it; I picked up this compilation of funny/scary short stories because of the Jim Butcher story. And "I Was a Teenage Bigfoot" was totally worth the effort, but unsurprisingly the whole book was right up my alley. If you liked the humor of Bad Taste in Boys, and you didn't mind the gory bits, and reading a book with some sexy stuff isn't going to get you into trouble, this is for you. I added quite a few authors to my to-read list after this one. And I really want Nina Kiriki Hoffman to make her story into a novel. PLEASE?!?!?

So there are my latest reads. Got anything great that you recommend? You know, for AFTER my edits? (I say this for my own edification, in the hopes that I'll listen.)

3 comments:

Sara Raasch said...

HOW DID I NOT KNOW YOU ARE A FELLOW SHINN-ITE?? The Twelve Houses series is one of my all time favorite series. Oh, Justin. *swoons*

Elizabeth Briggs said...

I love Sharon Shinn! I'll have to check this one out.

Carrie Harris said...

Hah! I knew we got along for some reason. Yes, I love these books, although that girl from the Lirrens doesn't deserve Justin, and I want to be Senneth when I grow up. ;)