Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Made of Awesome Files: Snow Crash

I've decided to start a new feature on this blog, which is really just a way of saying that I wanted to write an entry about this and make it seem really super important in an artificial kind of way. But you probably already figured that out, didn't you?

Fair warning: I'm still making up for the weekend of little sleep, so expect a bunch of sentences that are shaped like circles.

What do you mean that didn't make sense to you? It made perfect sense to me.

Anyway, I think I may have mentioned that I only write haiku reviews for books that I've never read before. But in the meantime I'm constantly revisiting my favorite comfort reads, sometimes just for a few chapters and other times for the whole glorious ride. It's just way too big of a pain to keep track of which ones I've reviewed already, so I decided not to do them.

Yep, I'm lazy.

So I've been spending a lot of time in doctor's offices lately (officially found out yesterday that everything's fine, thx), and I've been passing the time reading one of my all time favorites: Snow Crash. And it seems to me that if I am awesome because I am reading Snow Crash, you might want to be awesome.

This would, of course, require you to read Snow Crash.

Quite simply, it's a cyberpunk book that combines a futuristic internet world with Sumerian myth and a whole lot of funny. And we all know how much I like funny. And it's my goal in life to be able to write similes as good as Neal Stephenson. For instance, I give you the first paragraph:
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed sub-category. He's got esprit up to here. Right now, he is preparing to carry out his third mission of the night. His uniform is black as activated charcoal, filtering the very light out of the air. A bullet will bounce off its arachnofiber weave like a wren hitting a patio door, but excess perspiration wafts through it like a breeze through a freshly napalmed forest. Where his body has bony extremities, the suit has sintered armorgel: feels like gritty jello, protects like a stack of telephone books.

Can't you just imagine the bonking sound that the bullet makes when it comes into contact with the body armor? I find it really amusing.

The best part of all this? The Deliverator is not an assassin or a superhero.

He's a pizza delivery guy. And his name is Hiro Protagonist, which I find even more amusing.

If you decide to check it out, I'd love to hear what you think.

12 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

I'm still looking for the sentences shaped like circles...

K.C. Shaw said...

When Snow Crash first came out, one of my cousins handed it to me and said, "Sit down and read to this page RIGHT NOW." And he wouldn't let me refuse. So I sat down and read the first section, the pizza delivery, and I'm glad I did.

I probably shouldn't also mention that my cousin took the book back when I was done with that part and said, "You won't like the rest." I trust his judgment, but that beginning was awesome.

Scillius Maximus said...

I LOVE this book.

Going to have to reread it on the plane to AK.

Jim Danielson said...

Oh man, the pizza delivery guy in my book is semi-bad -- not a hiro, I mean hero, at all.

PJ Hoover said...

I loved Snow Crash! I've been having the "re-read Neil Stephenson" feeling too, and plan to start with Cryptonomicon.

Stephanie Faris said...

I've never heard of Snow Crash...am I the last to know? It sounds intriguing.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I must check out this book.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I've never heard of Snow Crash. But if you say it's made of awesome, I'll add it to the pile =)

storyqueen said...

Hiro Protagonist.....perhaps the greatest name for a literary character EVER!!


Shelley

Anonymous said...

It sounds fantastic. I'm reading a lot of slush atm, but a real, live books sounds...aaaaahhhhhh.

Wait, books aren't live. Snap.

And hospitals suck!

-Mercedes

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

sigh another book to add to my list.

Kelly Polark said...

That character name itself is made of awesome!