Friday, August 13, 2010

Any Excuse for a Sparkly Merpire Extravaganza

I've reached that point in my WIP. You know the point that I'm talking about. It usually hits about two thirds of the way through the manuscript, and all of a sudden you realize that your baby kind of sucks. It's not your fault that it sucks; it's just that your mobsters refused to cooperate with what they were supposed to be doing, and the justification for your MC doesn't work. So he seems a little like a doofus.

And normally, THE POINT makes me really frustrated, and I have to take a step back from the manny and do something else for a while. But not this time. This time? The point makes me laugh.

It's funny, because I've reached this point with four or five manuscripts now, and every time it takes me by surprise. Like I expect THIS manny will behave and the rest of the mannies will gnash their teeth in envy. Or they would if they had teeth. Mine don't. I'm strange, but not that strange.

Anyway, I've decided to forge on through this time, uncooperative mobsters and doofus MCs notwithstanding. I'm finishing this draft NEXT WEEK. That's my goal, and I hope you'll help hold me to it. Anyone else want to set a goal or two? We can throw a sparkly merpire extravaganza once we've all reached said goals.

13 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

I can't force you to finish next week any more than I can force myself to finish the draft I am on in the next month. In any case good luck.

Alison Pearce Stevens said...

Good goal! Mine is to submit some magazine articles before going on my brief get-away next week. Nothing nearly as impressive as yours. :) Good luck!

Natalie Whipple said...

At least to SEE the issue, though. Me? I just keep going along thinking I'm awesome until someone points out the problem for me.

That's fun.

Tere Kirkland said...

Next week, I'm going to work on revising my manuscript, but this weekend, I'm getting in some much-needed reading. Yes!

Good luck pushing past the POINT. ;)

Kathy McCullough said...

Wow, I'm just impressed you're so far along! Ugh, I feel like a piker. Brava, I say to you, Ninja Goddess!!!

Renae said...

I am right there with you! I have reached the exact same point in my current MS. I was ready to take a break and work on something else, but your goal inspired me to push through and finish. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's a goal per say, but I'd like to own a machine gun some day, or at least something full auto.

And grenades. I don't entirely know why, but God help me, I just love grenades.

Lacey J Edwards said...

Lol! Hope you work through it!
I'm setting a mini goal--to have this revision done by Monday so my critters can have my manny for the rest of the month to rip it to shreds.

And my word verification is "weene". *giggle*

Carolyn V. said...

You can totally do it Carrie! Way to work through it! I'm cheering you all the way. =D

Anonymous said...

MY MANUSCRIPT SUCKS, TOO! I'm caught between two of them at the moment, bouncing like a ping-pong-ball of suckiness.

I give myself until September 1st to have one of them completed. We should do something fantastic if we accomplish our goals. What should it be? Virtual party? Clever pictures?

-Mercedes

Carrie Harris said...

Good luck to you all in reaching your goals (except for Anny and his grenades-sorry, dude). Come back next week and tell me how they're going.

Oh, and Mercedes? A virtual party WITH clever pictures, of course!

Suzanne said...

Holy cow, I HEAR YOU! I'm half way through a round of revisions, and I'm weeping at the crappiness of my manny. Next week, eh? I'll see your next week and raise you one day...

If you can finish your draft by next week, then I can finish my first round of revisions by next week. See ya on the other side...

Carrie Harris said...

Go, Suzanne, go! You can do it!

Have some bacon. Bacon is good motivation, unless you happen to be a vegetarian, in which case I hope you'll forget that I said that.