Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Writing Buddy Appreciation Day

This morning, we're celebrating the website launch of my Wonder Twin and fellow 2k11-er, Amy Holder! Amy's website is so freaking pretty. And it dings. I've spent about the past five minutes moving my mouse over the ding-y things to the rhythm of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance.

I hope you'll head on over there and pelt her with virtual confetti. I believe she'll even be running some kind of giveaway type thing later on today, which only serves to elevate her awesomeness.

Which brings me to my topic of the day: virtual writing buddies. I don't know many authors IRL, and most of the people I do know are hobbiests. Not that I have a problem with writing for fun AT ALL. I think it's fabulous, and I love talking to these people about books in general. But some of the most nerve-wracking aspects of this profession are, well, linked to doing it PROFESSIONALLY.

Wow, that was deep.

Really, the only other people on this planet who are going to relate to the urge to Twitter stalk the people with your manny, the only people who will think it perfectly rational that you know more about potential agents or editors than you do about your own neighbors, the only people who will understand why on earth you'd take a shot at joining one of the strangest and most difficult professions out there--those people are fellow writers.

I appreciated a bunch of my critiquers in my acknowledgements for Bad Taste in Boys, but I also wanted to take the time to appreciate friends who, even if they don't have time to read the manny, are still some of the best friends I've got. So today, I'd like to say thanks for being there to:

Amy Holder
Amy Spalding
Ellen Oh
Keri Mikulski
Kiersten White
Kiki Hamilton
Laura Riken (get a website, woman!)
Natalie Whipple

Your turn! Who are your writing buddies you can't live without? Drop them in the comments or write your own blog post and tell us where it is.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

This was one awesome post!! As soon as I'm done commenting I'll be heading over to Amy's site... anytime I get to pelt confetti I'm in :)

I'd like to thank my crit partners, Summer, Christine, Crystal and then my two good friends Clara and Erica :)

Jamie Eyberg said...

My writing buddies are pretty much all the people who leave comments in my own blog (you included, Carrie). I would still be published without them, but not nearly as many stories would be out there.
Now where did I put my virtual confetti pelter?

Barry Napier said...

That fellow above me has been a loyal beta reader of mine. So him. and I also would like to steal his answer,...basically anyone who comments on my blog.

Amy Holder said...

Awww! THANK YOU!!! This blog post was the best surprise ever! You are beyond awesome! I am SOOOO thankful to have my Wonder Twin! I don't know how I'd survive in this crazy writing world without you!

Cyber hugs & pickles :)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Natalie Bahm, Denise Jaden, and Weronika Janczuck.

...and the 2K11 and Elevensies crowd. Thanks, Carrie!

Tere Kirkland said...

Lots of love to my lovely and amazing crit group, Abby Annis, Plamena Jetcheva, and Jade Timms. You ladies rock!

Carrie Harris said...

Yay! Lots of names I recognize, and some that I don't. New people to blog stalk! :)

Carolyn V. said...

Aw! Awesome post. =)

I can't live w/o my writing buddy L.T. Elliot. She is amazing. Yay for writing friends! =)

Samantha Bennett said...

I am definitely a fan of Writing Buddy Appreciation Day. The first buddy who comes to mind is my friend Heather, who actually is in real life. But I'm thankful for all my virtual writing buddies too!

Kiersten White said...

I (heart) you, too, my dear : )

Amy said...

This made me so happy to see. SO LOVED! SO MUCH LOVE BACK TO YOU.