Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Celebration of Suck

Remember how I set that goal to be done with the first draft of my new book this week? I did it with time to spare. I hit that point where the words flew, and it was nice outside, so my kids splashed around on the Slip n Slide while I wrote about carnivorous plants and greasy mobsters.

So I think it's time for a celebration! Of course, the whole thing sucks, but it's a first draft. It's SUPPOSED to suck. But I'm proud that it sucks with a beginning, a middle, and an ending. It's a complete array of suck, and that's an accomplishment.

I'm saying this somewhat tongue in cheek, but I really do believe in what I say. I remember finishing my first book, reading it over, and feeling embarrassed at the suck instead of feeling proud that I wrote a whole book! Full of words! And it wasn't all "sparkle sparkle sparkle sparkle spar-CALL!" Although in retrospect, I might write that book. It might be fun.

So I'm choosing to embrace the suck. Because I've got lots of ideas to make it NOT suck, and I can't wait to implement them, and really, can anything with carnivorous plants be truly sucky? Of course it can't.

So without further ado, here's my new mascot:
Suck! Suck! Suck! Suck! GRAAAAGH!


He's not very articulate, but that's okay. He's a first draft mascot. Once my manuscripts are all sparkly, they get a new mascot:

Sparkle sparkle sparkle spar-CALL!


It's like fate or something. How're you all doing on your goals? I wants to know!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your mascot for the first draft!!!! Is he open for borrowing? Sometimes to embrace the suck you really need a big supporter and he seems to do the job!!

Man it almost makes me want to snazz up my MS so I can have Richard Simmons as my new mascot!!!

I have no goals, well except to write and TRY to work on my wips. So far I'm getting something ready for the upcoming blog fest, get chapter two for Sadie and try and revise my already completed first draft... wow I feel overworked having just written that all down.

Stephanie McGee said...

LOL. Totally want to borrow that mascot for every one of my written books.

Wow, nice site redo. That was a bit of a surprise. (Sorry for being so behind the times. I usually just read in google reader and some days I have absolutely nothing to comment with.)

My progress? Slow. But there. Finished outlining a secret project. World-building on another. Waiting for beta feedback on a third.

Stephanie McGee said...

Oh, and CONGRATS!!!!!! on finishing the draft!!!!

storyqueen said...

Ooooooohhhh, I think my goals for summer are not going to be attained.

Le sigh.

And a big fat bummer.

Shelley

Melissa Hurst said...

Congrats on finishing the first draft!

I lurves the suck mascot. I need it for my ms! I recently finished my first draft and it reeks. But as my cp reminds me on a daily basis, it's all about adding the layers now.

Marsha Sigman said...

My wip is pretty sucktastic too. Also having time issues right now but I think I could possibly have first draft done in the next month or so...maybe. I love both mascots.

Kristi Faith said...

Oh man, I really need to get on the ball. I haven't looked at my goals list in a couple of months. *bad girl*

Good job on your completed first draft! I love those celebrations.

Carrie Harris said...

My mascots are your mascots, people. We can share the suck. And the sparkle. :)

Jennie Bailey said...

I love the idea of embracing the suck! And I absolutely adore your mascot. He's perfect! All ready with his scrubbing bubbles machine to shine it up so Richard Simmons can take over. I'm making notes right now and getting ready to dive into another polish on my MS. Goal is to be done with the polish by the end of September!

Carolyn V. said...

LOL! I love the suck!

My wip is not going. I've been spending all my free time getting the kids ready for school. Maybe in two weeks I will have something awesome done. =)

Unknown said...

I'm in the process of turning suck into sparkle and it's been a LONG process. I'm getting closer though...:) Love the Richard Simmons pic--you can't look at that guy and not smile.

Carrie Harris said...

Kristi, I think we need to write a writer's soap opera called "From Suck to Sparkle."

That phrase made me laugh SO HARD.

Candyland said...

Ha! Well, I'm really sucking on most of my goals right now. Maybe I need a little Simmons in my life.

Anonymous said...

Stiiiill nooooo grenaaaades :(

Red Boot Pearl said...

Thanks for the upbeat suck fest... because my manuscript has been through 8 layers of suckiness, I'm starting to think maybe, just maybe someday I might like it... I need to just enjoy the journey and the suckiness and realize it has gotten better every stinking draft. :)

Congrats for finishing... it is definitely an accomplishment to have that many words in your hands.

Unknown said...

I laughed my butt off on the post for the 19th!!!! Again it won't allow me to comment (DAMN!) none the less I wanted to let you know I was here...

stalking you...