Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Fan Mail & the Writing Gods

I've started getting what I'm going to call fan mail. Emails mostly, from people who read ye olde blog of monsterrificness and are interested in reading the book or asking advice or sending me links about kewl monsters.

I love you people. And I am floored.

It's funny, because we all hear the same writing advice, don't we? "Write for yourself," They say. "Don't write what you think some imaginary audience is going to want to read. Write YOUR story."

And to a certain extent, They are right. And although I'm not entirely sure who They are, I suspect They are Glow-in-the-Dark Ninja Writing Gods, but I can't substantiate that statement.

Yeah, I have no idea where I come up with these things either. But moving on.

It's quite strange to go from writing for yourself to realizing all of a sudden that people are listening to you. And they have OPINIONS. I've been trying to prepare myself for the negative ones, because I know they will come. I know some of them will be well thought out, justified, and delivered with respect. And then there will be others that, um, AREN'T. I'm as okay with that as I'm going to get. But I never thought to prepare myself for the fan mail. And every time I open one and read that you are excited about my book, or you loved something on the blog, or you saw some hilarious thing and thought of me even though we've never met, I get this dizzy, elated, my-head's-going-to-pop-off-my-body-and-pinball-around-the-room kind of feeling.

So thanks. Let's all collectively thumb our noses at the Glow-in-the-Dark Ninja Writing Gods. Because clearly, they don't know everything.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Blog stalking is one of my favorite things to do and everyone time I stop by you always have something witty up your sleeve (Glow-in-the-Dark Ninja Writing Gods)!

Not to mention you have one awesome blog :) Who doesn't love visiting the monsters!

Yay for FAN MAIL!

Lindsay said...

I'm with Jen...yay fan mail!

Jamie Eyberg said...

I know who I am going to email next time I have an in-depth question about Richard. I don't think anyone knows more, not even him.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I know who I am going to email next time I have an in-depth question about Richard. I don't think anyone knows more, not even him.

Larissa said...

Your blog is one of about three I check regardless of whether or not I'm doing the blog thing that day. So, yeah, you're awesome.

K. M. Walton said...

You deserve fan mail. That is all.

Amber said...

I just stumbled upon your blog a little while ago and I love it! I really can't wait for your novel to be out because it looks pretty much awesome!

Plus, the Glow-in-the-Dark Ninja Writing Gods told me I had to. =P

Renae said...

I always love your posts and this one is fantastic! No wonder so many are seeking out your opinion, it's well-deserved!

Sherrie Petersen said...

It's good that you're preparing yourself because I have a feeling you're going to get way more fan mail than anything else, especially from the Glow-in-the-Dark Ninja Writing Gods :)

Marsha Sigman said...

You are like a slice of awesome pie.lol

You totally deserve fan mail.

Anonymous said...

Once I read BTIB I will totally send you fan mail because there is no way I'm not going to love it. =)

Tara Maya said...

Does it get intimidating? All those expectations? Or is that just me and my enormous lack of self-confidence speaking?

Carrie Harris said...

I couldn't agree with you more. YAY fan mail! And yay for you commenters too! Y'all make me smile.

Tara, maybe it's a little intimidating, but if it helps, remember that every one of your favorite authors was unpublished at some point. And probably chewing their nails to bits at the thought of putting their work out in public. :)