Monday, October 18, 2010

Resisting the Sparkle

As of today, I am officially done with copyedits! WOOT! But you all know what this means. I need to figure out what I'm working on next.

Dum dum DUM.

Now I've got a handful of projects in various stages of completion. And a few of those projects have some real potential. I know I ought to work on one of them and FINISH it.

But the pretty sparkly ideas keep coming. And they're so INTERESTING. I have a girl talking to me right now that has Super Sekrit Problems, and they're freaking AWESOME. They drive me to RANDOM CAPITALIZATION, so you immediately know how EXCITED I am about this idea. I want to write about her RIGHT NOW. But I know I shouldn't.

I know it's responsible to finish at least one of the projects I'm currently working on. And I have more Halloween guest posts to write. So I've decided to spend this week finishing those things up, and then next week I'm allowed to spend a little time with the new, pretty, sparkly idea. And I'm saying this publicly so I'm required to stick to it.

How do you resist the sparkle?

10 comments:

abby mumford said...

i'm attempting to FIND the SPARKLE right now, which means i have the opposite problem as you, which means that when you look in the mirror, there i am giving you the SEKRIT ZOMBIE HANDSHAKE backwards.

storyqueen said...

You KNOW the one I want you to finish!!

Crack that WIP!

Shelley

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss carrie!
yikes! i got no resistence! im resistenceless for sure. ha ha. when that new some one gets in my head i just gotta jump in there and chat chat chat.
...smiles and hugs from lenny

lotusgirl said...

Responsibility is such a pain. I remind myself over and over again endlessly.

Unknown said...

I'm terrible at resisting the sparkle! I do my best though, but normally fail! I plan to write my sparkle this evening, even though I know should...

YAY FOR FINISHING COPY EDITS! WOOHOO!!!!!

Marsha Sigman said...

I can't. Which is why I usually have a few different projects going at one time. Usually one ends up winning over the others though.

Anonymous said...

Whiskey.

To relate my solution to your problem, just drink until you only HAVE one thought to work on, then work on it.

Note - This solution may result in needing to do extra editing.

Abby Minard said...

Yay for finishing copyedits! If I follow my sparkly ideas, I would never get my book done! So, I write them down and then daydream about them all day. Then I write more of my book, and then daydream some more.

Myrna Foster said...

But you're excited about the sparkly one. I'd go with the one you're most in love with, but maybe that's why you're about to be published and I'm not.

Stephanie McGee said...

Congrats!

For me, I start a project binder for the SNI (shiny new idea) and as I work on whatever needs to be done, I record all the random inspiration and silliness that comes to my head regarding that SNI. If the idea is still around when I'm done with the higher priority stuff, I'll sit down and seriously entertain the SNI.

If not, there's always another SNI lurking around the corner. (We can hope.)