Saturday, September 6, 2008

Scruff or No Scruff, That Is the Question

So it seems to me that we have a Werewolf Contingent around here. You know who you are; you're the people who were ballsy enough to disagree with my assertion of vampiric sexiness. (Snarf.) The ones who don't mind a little werewolf slobber or sleeping next to a hairy Cuisinart. (At least in theory.) At first, I have to admit that I was thinking you had issues, only the issues couldn't be that bad because hey, you read my blog and everyone knows that my blog is magic.

Have the hiccups? Read my blog, and they will magically go away. Zit on your nose? My blog will take care of it. Werewolf fetish? Simply read my blog and... well, actually, there's no hope there.

Just kidding.

Anyway, I was really starting to wonder about you wolfy people and then it hit me: the scruff question. The question is simple: Aragorn or Legolas?

And I have to admit that I'm a fence rider here. Normally, I think fence riders are wusses with a capital WUSS, but this is an important decision and not something that you can take lightly. On one hand, you have Aragorn. His hair may be scraggly and his fingernails dirty; he may be terminally unshaven, so much so that he really ought to try out for another remake of Miami Vice, but the man is just plain sexy. And then, on the other hand, there's Legolas. Yes, I do have a strong aversion to men with hair longer than mine, but he just looks so freaking good that I might have to make an exception. And he's all agile; he makes shooting a bow look kinda ooh-la-la if you know what I mean.

So I don't have a strong stance here, and that's a good thing. Because it's allowed me to see the point of view of the Werewolf Contingent, and I am no longer worried about your sanity. Because really, if Aragorn was a werewolf; well, I'd still find him attractive although I have to admit that I'd also seriously wonder what kind of happy place Tolkien was in and what he smoked to get there.

So... what's your stance? Are you in Club Aragorn, Club Legolas, or Please Club Them Both Because I Can't Stand It Any More?

14 comments:

Bish Denham said...

I am definitely in Club Aragorn.

Although I admire and give homage to Legolas for his bravery and loyalty, he is a bit too ethereal and pretty for me as well as being emotionally distant.

Aragorn is human, he has fears to overcome, he is deeply and passionately in love with a woman he can't have, and despite all that he does what he needs to do. He is a man.

Give me sweat over perfect hair any day.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I am right there on the fence with you. When I first saw Legolas, I gasped (out loud, in the theater) embarrassing the friends I was with. OMG! He is so beautiful! (besides skillful & loyal & brave, etc.)

Aragorn did not make me gasp - but, he's just so earthy, manly, driven... yeah - what's not to love?

Actually, what's not to love about both? So, I have my Legolas days & my Aragorn days... I can't make a permanent choice! :^)

Julia (from Verla's)

Tabitha said...

I'm of two opinions. I know, that sounds very multiple-personality, but let me explain.

I read Lord of the Rings in high school, and promptly developed a crush on Aragorn. He's described as so mysterious, strong, and just plain interesting. Legolas was intriguing in the book, but not quite enough for me.

Then I saw the movie, and my eyebrow went up when I saw that beautiful Legolas on screen. Plus, I'm just not a huge fan of scruff.

So if I only consider the movie, then I'm a fence-sitter just like you. But if I let the books influence me, then I'm definitely Club Aragorn.

Angela said...

Oh yeah.... give me scruff!

& thanks for making my complexion glow!

SlayerOfBees said...

Does this mean I can grow out my beard again?

Susan Sandmore said...

Vampires, no. Werewolves, no. And no to Bigfoot, Mummies, Zombies, The Jersey Devil, and Count Chocula, while we're at it.

Loch Ness Monster--I'd consider it. Is he as cute as his photos?

Aragorn, yes! But I'd want the showered clean version seen at the end of ROTK.

Legolas, no. Little too young (I know, I know--he's supposed to be what--3,000?) and a little too . . . pretty.

But you left off my man Faramir!

Carrie Harris said...

Looks like we need a Fence Sitter Club. :) Although I'm tempted to join the Count Chocula Club, just because that's too funny to pass up.

And Slayer, the only problem with that is that I will never kiss Aragorn. Although it's your face. ;)

Michele Thornton said...

Aragorn on any day of the week. How about Every day of the week?

Carrie Harris said...

Michele: Somehow, I'm not surprised. ;)

PJ Hoover said...

Totally Aragorn. He never should have taken the wig off and shaved.
Never.

Unknown said...

Oh, I am all for Aragorn. Legolas is too elven for me, whereas Aragorn... ahhh, Aragorn. He fulfills my Bryonic heroic needs.

Laini Taylor said...

How. Funny.

I want to say, first of all, coming in late here, that if this werewolf/vampire debate is a Twilight thing, nevermind -- I'm not talking about Edward and Jacob (I only read the first two books; I think it's the 3rd one that must get into more werewolfiness). So that said, I guess I am a werewolf person! I wouldn't have said so before, but I am definitely in the Aragorn camp. No question. Don't get me wrong, Legolas is awesome. But the smolderiness, the scruff, the deep love and yearning. . .

If I were going to write a spin-off (which I am not) about either character, or a fantasy romance like they're always advertising in Realms of Fantasy, it would be about Aragorn, not Legolas.

And I think that I would have to lean toward werewolves, too, in the fantasy romance. I could never quite imagine how the cold skinned vampire thing could really work. I don't even like have cold feet, you know. Wouldn't it be kind of like smooching a big ice sculpture? Anyway, too much thinking going on here.

(Hi, by the way!)

Carrie Harris said...

PJ: I'm so with you. King Aragorn-No-Scruff is not half as nice as Strider.

Daphne: Now THAT's a great justification. I might have to borrow that.

Laini: Hi right back atcha! And no, this isn't Team Edward/Team Jacob inspired. I only read the first one and kind of wanted to string Bella up by her toes for being such a dishrag. So I don't know enough to have an opinion on that one.

I have this hilarious mental picture of someone sitting on a table making out with an ice sculpture now... I may need therapy.

Scillius Maximus said...

Aragorn all the way.

Elves are just too shiney