Monday, March 2, 2009

A Pox Upon You, Short Story!

I blame it all on you.

You know who you are. You short story people out there. You're like Microsoft; if people hang around you all the time, they'll be assimilated. Well, it's my turn now, and I'm not going down without a fight.

Okay, maybe I did get an idea for a short story, and maybe, just maybe I wrote two pages BY HAND in a notebook while I was waiting for the twins to wake up. Then, I realized that I certainly wasn't myself. I've obviously been replaced by a pod person. One of these days, you'll meet me (if you don't happen to know me already), and I'll say, "Hey, dude! You wanna read my short story?"

When that happens, you should run in the opposite direction. Because only Pod Person Carrie would write a short story. And call people "dude." And if you don't run in the opposite direction, I'll probably be ripping my face off and going all crazy alien on your tuckus.

Which probably means that some of you will be staying. You know, because it'll be freaking funny.

I mean, really. What am I thinking? It's not like I don't have enough going on. Between my books, my blog, the whole family thing, and my nefarious plot to take over the world one snarf at a time, my schedule is full. I don't care if the story involves two of my favorite things.

Wanna guess what they are? I'll give you a cookie if you get it right.

23 comments:

SlayerOfBees said...

I should probably keep my guesses clean so I don't embarrass you too badly here....

The Wiggles and scrubbing toilets?

That could make for a funny short story.

Aaron Polson said...

Zombies...Tom Cruise...Richard Simmons...wait, that's three!

(you know you want to write more short stories...c'mon...)

Jamie Eyberg said...

Welcome to the dark side.

Scillius Maximus said...

Zombies eating cereal because they stubbornly thought it was a baby.

Or how about Richard Simmons latest dancing to the oldies workout video:
ZOMBERCISE.

Ahh how many guesses do we get because I could keep going??

David Ebright said...

Zombie waitresses - on roller skates - at the A&W drive in burger joint. Wait... I know there are Zombies that skate - but is A&W still in bidniss???

Short stories are FUN (& ya can make a few bucks on 'em). I write them sometimes just to get out of the writing for kids mode. The latest one 'Ingredients' (only 850 words) got me a 'you're sick Dad' response from my oldest son. Freaked him out completely - Just like old times.

Kelly Polark said...

Richard Simmons as a Ninja battling Tom Cruise?

Cate Gardner said...

Zombies and Ninjas in a fight to pluck out Batman's eyebrows.

Short stories are fun - embrace them.

Adrienne said...

Zombies and cooking? Hey, there's a cookbook...Cooking With Zombies.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Um, zombies and ninjas???

I would love to read your short story. Any chance of you posting it on here?

K.C. Shaw said...

Richard Simmons as a ninja, saving the world from ZomCruise. I'd read it!

word verification: lotsoape. Hey, I did shower this morning!

Jim Danielson said...

I'm in with zombies with batbrows.

Sherrie Petersen said...

It would have to be zombies and ninjas.

I thought of you last night when I was reading a book that had zombies in it...you love zombies more than anyone I know!

Fox Lee said...

One of us, one of us!

Mariah Irvin said...

Embrace the short story!!! I usually write everything by hand (during school) and then type it up later. It's an easy way to revise my writing.

Hmmm...I think this short story is about Richard Simmons landing his haunted spaceship the shores of Zombie Island where he must fight Zom Cruise for supremacy. Oh, and then they dance together.

Mariah Irvin said...

Zombies remind me...when was the last time we played zombie, vampire, or werewolf?

Carrie Harris said...

Man, your ideas are all better than mine. I have to scrap this story and start over. :)

We haven't played in a while, Mariah. I've been trying to think of some new twists to the game so it doesn't get stale.

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Foot massage and an in-depth discussion on the causes of the Peloponnesian War?

Oh wait. That's me.

Tiny T said...

One of them definitely have to be batbrows! How can you forget the batbrows? The second... Zombies. Really you can't leave out the zombies as everyone else has also mentioned.

Suzanne Casamento said...

Write the short story. Give into the urge. It'll probably be amazing.

I'm going to guess that it has something to do with your nefarious plot to take over the world, one snarf at a time. I'm hoping it won't also involve your family. Just because of the nefariousness. ; )

Christina Farley said...

a really hot ninja?

Carrie Harris said...

You're all on the right track. I was actually working on one with Richard Simmons and zombies, but I've gotten editing notes from fabulous agent Kate, so I'm working on them now.

That's the great thing about having an agent. They save you from yourself without even realizing it.

LauraBlue said...

I was going to go with zombie ninjas too. XD Short stories can be good though. Especially giggle-worthy short stories.

Christy Raedeke said...

Won't you please just post the story on your blog? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is dying to read some of your fiction. C'mon, give the people what they want!