Friday, April 10, 2009

The Zombie Rescue Squad

Okay. I'm beyond behind (which sounds strangely Seussian) on the whole haiku review thing, so let's get caught up on a few first.

Ink Exchange
Fairy wing tattoos
Wish listed for a long time
Totally worth it

Nature Girl
Guy gets his fingers
Attached the wrong way, even
I found it silly

A Great and Terrible Beauty
This story's moral:
Don't go to a boarding school
Unless you're a witch

Mystic and Rider
This reminds me of
A mix of Firestarter
and Lord of the Rings

Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
Mute zombie leads a
Protest by dry-erase board.
Of course he eats brains.

I finally think I'm caught up, although I got so far behind that I started to lose track of what I read. I've got a case of Reader's Alzheimers. Anyway, I'm at book 34 of the Read 50 Books in 2009 Challenge. I know some of you are doing it too: how's it going?

In other news, it looks like we're going to have a new car in the not-so-distant future, which is a good thing because mine refuses to shift gears. My zombie minivan has Alzheimers too, kinda in the same way that a lot of dogs and their owners resemble each other. Although I'm still in better shape than the girl that I saw earlier this week. She drove off the road and collided head on with an electric pole. Being the so-called wilderness rescuer that I am (I say "so-called" because I've been trained but never actually rescued anyone in the wilderness), I sprinted for the car and helped her. Imagine running into a pole and looking up to see me, waving some little cardboard cutouts at you to test your visual field:

"How many zombies do you see?"

She was okay, BTW. Because I know you'll ask.

UPDATE: A short while ago, I was a runner up in a contest on Kiersten's blog. My prize? She wrote some hilarious poetry about me. Check it out; can't stop giggling.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooo, the zombie book looks good!

Jamie Eyberg said...

nothing like witnessing an accident, which is much better than being in one.

Erin said...

Read 50 books in 2009? I thought you'd never ask!

Natalie Whipple said...

Wow, you're owning the 50 books challenge! You could read 100 at this rate.

PJ Hoover said...

Love your reviews! I wasn't big on Ink Exchange, but I did love A Great and Terrible Beauty.
And way to go on the 50 books challenge! I'm at 23.

Mariah Irvin said...

I wish I had time to read. I'm pretty sure that my history textbook counts as fifteen books, though.

I liked A Great and Terrible Beauty. It makes you obligated to read the next two in the trilogy, even if you know that nothing good will happen.

Sounds like I have lots of summer reading to do!

Carrie Harris said...

Beth: It is good, particularly if you're a zombie fan. :)

Jamie: But still just as crazy-making in some ways, isn't it? I got the shakes even though I wasn't in it.

Erin: But I did ask. :)

Natalie: Probably. But there are some comfort reads I'll probably revisit at the end of the challenge. I'm not counting any re-reads, only new books, so I haven't been revisiting any of my old favorites.

PJ: Yeah, I'm hoping that Fragile Eternity is as good as Wicked Lovely. Ink Exchange was worth the read, but I didn't fall in love with it the way I did with WL.

Mariah: Hey, if you need summer reading suggestions, you know who to talk to! :)

K.C. Shaw said...

I'm only at 13 books. I need to get reading. Maybe I'll grab something at random off my to-be-read shelf. You've inspired me!

Kiersten White said...

It's easy to write good poetry with such an inspiring subject.

Also, if I ever run a car into a pole, I hope you're there.

Kelly Polark said...

Great haiku reviews as usual!
Kiersten's poems about you were funny,too!

Suzanne Casamento said...

Kiersten is the coolest writer on the planet. Her poetry is beyond giggleworthy. (And scarily accurate!)

Fox Lee said...

Aww, poetry is so romantic ; )

Kiersten White said...

Sorry, Carrie, I think Suzanne is my new favorite person.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Wow, you read fast!!! And talk about talented with those haiku. Love it! :D

Carrie Harris said...

KC: Oooh! I'm inspirational! Go me! :)

Kiersten: I hope I'm not the inciting factor in the car-pole collision. I promise not to throw Jell-o at you when you're driving.

Kelly: Why, thanks on both accounts! I feel kind of famous being the subject of snarfy poetry.

Suzanne: You're just sucking up because you want kewl poetry too. And zombie muppets. (Although who doesn't want zombie muppets?) ;)

Natalie S: Isn't it? Especially when it has zombies in it (in my case) or Korean boy bands (in yours).

Kiersten (part two): PBBT! Will I return to my station of eminence if I can compliment you better? Because I will, honest!!!

Glamis: Yeah, but I also read CONSTANTLY. When the girls are in bed and the boy is at school, I am either writing or reading (i.e., walking around the house with the book held up in front of my face).

Angela said...

you go you wilderness rescuer you!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

man you are good at Haikus

sruble said...

I'm behind on my reading too. Although I might have to pick up a few of the books you reviewed for the huge stack that's about to topple over and crush us all, especially the zombie book. It was nice of you to help the car crash victim, while at the same time freaking her out. ;)