Thursday, July 30, 2009

Let There Be Answers

Whee! It's more answers to questions you didn't really want to ask but took pity on me and did anyway!

So first, we've got a series of questions courtesy of Solvang Sherrie, awesome person that she is.
Have you ever posted an exerpt of "Superbly Useless"? I'd love to read it...

Alright. I'll post one here. Are you ready? Brace yourself.

"The."

Hey, you didn't say how LONG of an exerpt you wanted.

But seriously. I've never posted one. But I'll tell you a secret if you promise not to tell anyone else, and if everyone else in the world skips over this part. Ready?

I entered the first couple of paragraphs in a contest a long, LONG time ago, before I signed with Secret Agent Kate. You can read them here. I got great comments even if I didn't win.

You read that, didn't you, Everyone Else in the World? Le sigh.

As the Query Ninja, have you ever posted the query that landed you with Kate? I know it's good and I'd love to read it too...

I haven't. I'm not sure if I could ninja my own query or not. That's kind of like trying to practice an arm bar on yourself, but I could try. Thanks for the idea!

And finally, what kind of a name is Slayer for a doctor? I'm thinking I would be pretty nervous to show up for an appointment with him!

Actually, Slayer is short for Slayer of Bees. I told the whole story here. So unless you're a bee, you have nothing to worry about.

Storyqueen, who writes some of the most awesome picture books in the world, asks:
What is your current writing project....??? If you can't spill for superstitious reason, give us something, even if it's ambiguous.

I'll give you three words. And none of them are 'the.'

Demon fighting rollergirls.

And now I really want to be one.

Anyway, I'm about halfway done with it. I've been about halfway done with it for a while, but that's because I keep coming up with better ideas. I'm an obsessive editor type. I have been trying to bribe my inner editor to shut it up so I can write some new pages already but haven't been particularly successful.

How do you shut up your inner editor?

12 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

This was awesome!

Love the Secret Agent excerpt and demon fighting rollergirls? Um, yes please!

Can't wait until all of this is actually available to read.

K. M. Walton said...

I agree with all of those positive comments from MSFV. And I too would read on.

Like I always say, and I'm sure you are like, "Oh, KM, say something else," but, YOU HAVE AN AWESOME/HYSTERICAL WRITING VOICE.

I can not wait to buy your books, cuz' I am sooo buying them.

p.s. I think you may want to put a Dr. Slayer in one of your books. It's just too good to pass up.

Stephanie Faris said...

Demon fighting rollergirls? THAT sounds interesting. Buffy meets Boogie Nights.

storyqueen said...

Yea!! You answered my question! Demon.Fighting.Rollergirls. W.o.w!!

Cannot wait to see what you do with this!

(Loved your excerpt, by the way.....not that I read it or anything....I, er, uh...well, see, I didn't mean to press the link, yeah, that's the ticket, and I thought I was still reading this blog and the next thing you know......it wasn't my fault, really!!)

On how to shut up the Internal Editor.....(shhhh...it's a secret, but I just lie to mine all the time. I tell him that what I'm writing is not the way I'm really going to write the next part.....I'm just playing around, see?...just practicing up....and he doesn't even need to be around, because I'm not REALLY writing.*...._

Good Luck!

Shelley

*The Story Queen does not endorse the use of lying in all situations, just those that result in more words on the page.

K.C. Shaw said...

Demon fighting rollergirls is my new favorite kind of book! Good luck with it!

I bribe my inner editor with ice cream. Specifically, I eat so much ice cream I start to feel sick, and them my inner editor is busy telling me I need to eat less and exercise more, and I'm free to write all the drivel I want.

Danyelle L. said...

Duct tape solves most problems. :D If your voice in your books is anything like your voice here, then I can't wait to read! :D

Mariah Irvin said...

I love that just about everything I've read that you've written involves baby pools.

I give my inner editor chocolate when it behaves.

Jim Danielson said...

As for the excerpt, I steal a bit from a Zom Cruise movie: You had me at 'THE'.

Also,can't wait for your WIP -- I've read every DFR novel writen as is supported by the acronym I developed for the genre. In fact the librarian thought she had found another on yesterday, but had twisted the acronym and it was really nonfiction about our 32nd President.

I'm loving your Q/A week!

Susan R. Mills said...

That stupid inner editor! She's driving me crazy right now. I can't get her to shut up, so if you figure out the answer, please let me know!

Anonymous said...

If you REALLY want to get rid of that inner editor once and for all, I SUPPOSE you could go the "narrator from Fight Club getting rid of Tyler Durden" route. It's kind of messy, though, you may want to put down some tarps. Make sure Andrew's there, too. He'll appreciate the combat medic experience.

Of course, I'm guessing all of this is moot if you're inner editor actually LOOKS like Tyler Durden. I'm thinkin' you wouldn't be trying to give that guy the boot.

Anonymous said...

I finally came to the sad, sad conclusion that I'm not trying out to be a Sin City Rollergirl. "Why, Mercedes, how can that be?!" you ask in ninjafied amazement. Google "roller derby injury list" and you'll see. I am lousy in a wheelchair.

-Mercedes

Sherrie Petersen said...

Thanks for answering my questions!

The "Superbly Useless" excerpt absolutely hooked me. I LOVE the Slayer story and I have to say that demon fighting rollergirls sound very intriguing.

Now for that query ;)

I like Question Week. When's the next one?