Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Vacation, All I Ever Wanted

On Sunday, we leave for a week-long vacation with the fam. Part of me is jumping around in barely restrained excitement that sounds something like this: "Wheeee! A REAL vacation! I get to go on a REAL vacation! Par-tay!"

Another part of me is slinking around trying not to make too big of a deal about it, lest the Vacation Gods hear about this and start playing practical jokes on me again. One year, I went to Myrtle Beach, and my bikini top fell off and floated away in the ocean. I was there with my boyfriend's parents. So of course, he's laughing, and I'm trying to find my top, and out comes my boyfriend's dad. He thought we were playing Marco Polo and wanted to play too.

Recipe for disaster, that.

Slayer and I have only taken one real vacation together during our entire 10 year relationship. We went on a short honeymoon, and on the first day? I broke my foot. Walking.

Yes, walking. We took a walk down the beach, and I broke my foot. Don't ask me how, because I don't know.

So for this vacation, I'm not wearing any bikinis and I'm going to walk on my hands the entire time. Think it'll work?

11 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

A real vacation. Dare to dream. My wife and I want to go with you. Do you think the kids will be okay if we locked them in a closet?

Unknown said...

have fun carrie! i'm sure it will go over fine :^)

my own best start to a fam vacation: we all pile into the van, packed, ready, and excited, and then my father drives down our street, and about two houses from home he (Spectacularly) kills a squirrel. blood everywhere. and then mom starts muttering about omens....

but your vacation will be wonderful and lacking of omens!

and jamie i'm pretty sure i saw a lifetime movie about that. and the answer was no. no they won't.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Have a great vacation! Don't spend too much time on the hands...chance of broken fingers an'all. Besides, people will think that you're with the circus.

C.R. Evers said...

OMG! Wow! LOL at the bikini story! Yikes!

Have fun. I hope you have an uneventful, non-bone breaking and fully clothed (when appropriate) vacation!

Natalie Whipple said...

Eek! Have fun! And yeah, no bikini's for you. But walking on you hands is pretty dangerous. Just roller blade everywhere.

K.C. Shaw said...

My grandmother used to manage to get sick during every vacation we took to the beach. Oh, except for the time she broke a tooth instead and had to go to an emergency dentist.

Have a great vacation! Eat nothing but bananas and cream of wheat, just in case.

Cate Gardner said...

A vacation!!! I want one of those soooooo badly.

Have your emails forwarded to my account while you're away so that when your novel is accepted for one whole minute I can think it's for me.* :D

A truth universally unacknowledged, acceptances always come in when you're away.

Fox Lee said...

Marco!

Kelly Polark said...

Have an awesome vacation, Carrie!
My bikini top came down while swimming in the ocean with my best friends and my bf's parents. I'm not even going to tell you the nickname that I got after that!

PJ Hoover said...

Too funny! Hope you have a great vacation. May only good things come your way!

~Jamie said...

haha yes! I am the same way about vacations... hadn't been on one since my honeymoon or nuthin.

Here's the thing.... now that we are older, wiser, more sage if you will-vacation's just better!

You will love it, you will have a bangin time, and when you get back... if it did suck more than anything that has ever sucked before... then you will have blog fodder for months!